Summer is already here and so is the time to rock your favorite shorts. It’s every girl’s desire to flaunt their legs but there are very a few who are blessed with naturally slender legs. No matter you have heavy legs or leaner ones, you still need to tone them up to get that summer friendly shape.
Legs are that part of a woman’s body that appeal to multiple senses i.e. sight and touch. Also, one can easily make out about a woman’s physical strength and physical fitness simply by seeing her legs. So, if you are wondering why you were left unnoticed by that hot fresher guy in college after all that makeup drama, here’s your answer to the same.
To get those luscious and athletic legs, you really need to get started today. Here are some of the exercises that you can try at your home to get your legs in shape.
Lunges help you tighten your leg muscles and efficiently help you strengthen your glutes, hamstrings, quadriceps and calves. This does not involve lifting heavy weights and can be the perfect way to rest your spine without straining a bit.
How to do:
- Stand upright on a flat surface with your upper body straight. Relax your shoulders a bit and keep your feet hip-width apart.
- Place your left leg forward, lowering your hips until your legs form a 90 degree angle together.
- While lowering your body, make sure that your left knee is positioned right above your left ankle and your right knee doesn’t touch the ground.
- Hold this position for five seconds and then push your left heel upwards to get back to your intial position.
- Repeat the same exercise with your right leg as well.
(Perform 2 to 3 set of lunges, each consisting of 15 to 20 repetitions from each leg.)
Squats are super easy to perform if you follow some of the balancing rules religiously. It helps you improve your flexibility and keeps your knees strong. It not just tones your legs but is also a key to tone down your butt size.
How to do:
- Stand straight on a flat surface with your feet kept shoulder-width apart. Tighten your stomach with your chest held high and you are ready to start.
- Balance your body by extending your hands out straight infront or by clutching your elbows with opposite hands (making a cross with your hands).
- Flatten your back and lower down your torso with bent knees.
- While lowering down your body, make sure that your knees are positioned right over your ankles. Also make sure that you shift all your body weight on your heels.
- Hold this position for five seconds and then push your heels upward to get back to your initial position.
- Repeat the same exercise
(Perform 2 to 3 set of squats, each consisting of 15 to 20 repetitions.)
- Standing Calf Raises
Calf Raises as the name suggests is a type of strength training exercise meant for your calves. This exercise helps to improve your lower legs and their appearance. If you have strong calf muscles, it is easier for you to jump and run effortlessly. So, the more often you perform this, the more attractive your legs look.
How to do:
- Stand straight against a wall on a flat surface with your feet kept shoulder-width apart. Make sure that your feet are positioned right under your hips.
- Extend your hands towards the wall for support and keep your palms parallel to each other.
- Straighten your back and lift both your heels in the upward direction, shifting your body weight onto your toes.
- While you are stretching your body in the upward direction you are not supposed to bend your knees and rather keep them straight.
- Hold this position for three seconds and then lower your heels back to their initial position.
- Repeat the same exercise.
(Perform 2 to 3 set of calf raises, each consisting of 20 to 25 repetitions)
- Wall sits
Wall sits are easy to understand but hard to perform at the same time. This exercise brings you a quick reality check about your physical strength and stamina to hold your legs in a particular position. It helps you to focus and makes your thighs real strong. This is the best exercise to learn the art of balancing.
How to do:
- Stand straight on a flat surface supporting your back against a wall, keeping your chest up and stomach tight.
- Place your feet two step forward kept shoulder width apart and bend both the knees making a 90 degree angle. Your thighs are now parallel to the ground.
- Make sure that your back remains at the same position as it was in the first place. You can also extend your hands in the front for better balancing.
- Hold your position for 30 to 50 seconds and then release your body from that position.
- Repeat the same activity.
(Perform 2 to 3 sets of wall sits.)
Donkey kicks is a major leg strengthening exercise for stronger gluteal muscles. This exercise is exclusively for those girls who want to build a better butt. It helps in making your buttock rounder and firmer than ever. It is scientifically named as quadruped bent-knee hip extension.
How to do:
- Spread a mat across the floor and get down on all your fours keeping your shoulder-width apart and knees hip-width apart. Keep your stomach tight and your back straight.
- Lift your right leg in the upward direction; flex your foot keeping the knee bent.
- While you are lifting your right leg upward, the other leg remains at the same position as it was in its first place.
- Repeat this activity a couple of times and do the same with your left leg too.
(Perform 2 to 3 sets of Donkey Kicks, each consisting of 15-20 repetitions from each leg.)