“When it comes to your self-worth, only one opinion matters- your own”
Self-esteem is a realistic, appreciative opinion of oneself. A high opinion about yourself and who you are and what you do is what matters the most.
Being constantly criticized by family, friends, colleagues and society in general tends to slowly shake our feelings of self- worth makes it difficult for us even to take a smaller decision of our own.
Improving your self-esteem increases your confidence and is a first step towards finding happiness, a better life and moreover mental satisfaction.
Following are steps you can take to increase the feeling of self-worth:
- Connect with people who Love you: It is easy to feel bad about yourself if you spend time with people who treat you badly or don’t appreciate you. Make effort to spend more time with people who love you and treat you like you expect to be treated.
- Learn to be Assertive: When you don’t like yourself it is easy to assume others won’t like you either. You may find you go out of your way to help others as you feel its only way they will like you but if it isn’t reciprocated it can make you feel even worse. One should learn to set boundaries and take control of your own decisions.
- Focus on your positives: If you keep on feeling negative about yourself you will always remain unhappy in your life. You should start celebrating your success no matter how big or small it is, take time to praise yourself and reflect on what you did well.
- Groom Yourself and Dress Nicely: If you groom yourself, dress nicely and look presentable you will feel good and positive about yourself. Wear subtle makeup to look more presentable
- Stand Tall: If you stand tall and straight, you feel better about yourself. People who stand tall look more attractive.
- Smile: If you keep a small smile on your face you will always feel better. A little tiny thing that can have a chain reaction.
Self- esteem just require your little investment of time along with the efforts as it involves developing and maintaining healthier emotional habits but doing so, and especially doing so correctly, will provide a great emotional and psychological return in your investment.