Deborah Usher experienced sudden flu symptoms and things got so bad for the terrified mother-of-one that she was rushed to the hospital. The hotel manager and mother of one figured she’d bounce back quickly, but within days she couldn’t walk or talk. Doctors put Deborah into an induced coma, preparing her family for the worst.
One week later, Deborah finally awoke from the coma, but with no recollection of anything that had happened. Instead, she woke up with a rare but potentially fatal condition that took over her life completely, and worst of all, wiped her memory clean. Gone were so many precious memories of her young son.
It’s taken five years for Deborah’s memory to gradually return.
Now, Deborah’s story serves as a powerful warning to women everywhere.
This is Deborah Usher.
Back in 2011, Deborah was 27 years old. She was a happy, healthy mother-of-one, and hotel manager from Porthmadog, Wales.
Doctors realized Deborah had developed toxic shock syndrome from using super-plus strength tampons throughout her period.
Toxic shock syndrome (TSS) is a rare but serious condition caused when the bacterium “staphylococcus aureus” gets into one’s bloodstream.
TSS has been most commonly linked to super-absorbent tampon use in menstruating women, though anyone can contract it.