Smriti Irani – the name needs no introduction. Every bit of her life story speaks sheer inspiration. The world bows down to this woman who started off with a career in modelling, switched to acting to become the most famous television actress ever and then joined politics and is now heading two key Indian ministries (Information and Broadcast, and Textile ministry). Time and then, she stood strong with her prowess.
Here we take you on a ride to her inspiring journey!
– She participated in Femina Miss India beauty pageant in 1998 and was one of the finalists.
– Smriti Irani used to work as a burger flipper in a McDonald outlet. Very seldom people know this.
– Her relations with BJP led Rashta Swayamsevak Sangh dates back to childhood. Her grandfather was an RSS member and her mother was also a member of Jana Sangh.
– She made her TV debut in 2000 with ‘Aatish’ and ‘Hum Hain Kal Aaj Aur Kal’.
– Ekta Kapoor saw her talent and finalised her to play the lead role in Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi, which proved to be life-changing for her.
– As she played the role of a quintessential Indian bahu, she became a household name in the country and garnered a colossal fan following.
– Smriti Irani won five consecutive Indian Television Academy Awards for Best Actress (Popular), four Telly Awards and eight Star Parivaar Awards and many more for Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi.
– While doing Kyuki… Smriti Irani joined BJP in 2003. She even contested Lok Sabha 2004 election from the Chandni Chowk constituency in Delhi against Kapil Sibal, but lost.
– In 2007, she apparently had a fallout with producer Ekta Kapoor due to which she had to walk out from the show. This is when Gautami Kapoor was floured in for the role. But eventually, issues got resolved and Smriti was called back to the show.
– In 2008, she hosted the show Yeh Hai Jalwa along with Sakshi Tanwar.
– The milestone of her political career was in 2010 when she was appointed as the National Secretary of BJP and President of BJP’s women wing. In 2011, she sworn in as a Member of Parliament from Gujarat to Rajya Sabha.
– In 2014 Lok Sabha Elections, she contested from Amethi against Indian National Congress chief Rahul Gandhi but lost with a meager margin of 1 lakh votes. However, after BJP’s win, Smriti became the Union Minister for Human Resource Development thereby becoming the youngest member at 38. Post the rife questioning her educational qualifications, she was shifted to lead Textile ministry.
– Just a week back, Venkaiah Naidu’s resignation from the post of I&B Minister, the iconic Smriti Irani has been allotted that ministry as well.
Her success story is surely gonna go in books!