The Magical Yellow Spice! Know The Top 5 Health Benefits Of ‘TURMERIC’
Turmeric, the bright yellow spice in your kitchen is not as ordinary as it looks. Coined as the most powerful spices of all, Turmeric/Haldi is a powerhouse of nutrients. It has an ancient history of uses in cooking, fabric dyeing, cosmetics and traditional medicine in India and China.
Turmeric contains a strong compound called Curcumin, which gives it a yellow colour and powerful medicinal properties. Curcumin has a range of health benefits. These include antibacterial, antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and antioxidant effects.
A staple in Indian kitchens, Turmeric has a heady fragrance and an earthy taste. If consumed regularly, this magic spice can boost your immunity and keep you healthy.
Top 5 Health Benefits Of Turmeric
- Turmeric Is a Natural Anti-Inflammatory – As chronic inflammation contributes to many chronic diseases, Turmeric may help treat conditions like inflammatory bowel disease, pancreatitis and arthritis. The curcumin in turmeric has proven, strong anti-inflammatory properties that block the action of inflammatory molecules in the body. If consumed regularly, it helps in treating joint pains and inflammation.
- Turmeric Is a Brain Food – Research has found that Turmeric may even protect your brain against common degenerative diseases like Alzheimer’s. Curcumin in Turmeric helps in keeping the nerve cells (neurons) healthy, as well as regulate communication between nerve cells, which is critical for learning and memory. Cucumin in turmeric may help reverse or delay brain degeneration. It also helps in lowering anxiety and depression symptoms.
- Turmeric has Anti-Cancer effects – Anti-inflammatory compounds such as curcumin may play a role in treating and preventing a variety of cancers. Research has shown that it can reduce the spread of cancer and can destroy cancerous cells. It can also possibly reduce the negative side effects of chemotherapy.
- Turmeric Can Prevent Diabetes – Curcumin present in turmeric may help prevent diabetes through its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties. It also moderates other factors that contribute to diabetes, including insulin resistance, high blood sugar and hyperlipidemia (high levels of fat in the blood). However, one should consult a doctor before consuming it with strong medications.
- Turmeric Is a Natural Immunity Booster – Lipopolysaccharide – a substance in turmeric with anti-bacterial, anti-viral and anti-fungal agents helps stimulate the human immune system. Consume a teaspoon of this magical spice in warm water or warm milk daily and say goodbye to sick days.