Ruby Sinha, Founder, sheatwork.com- a one stop knowledge hub for women entrepreneurs
2019: An important year for women entrepreneurs
And as we are poised to enter a new year, we can confidently say in 2019 countries around the world including India indeed highlighted women empowerment. The Indian government has recognized women issues and their contribution to the country’s economy.
This year’s Union Budget was also a huge landmark. India’s first full-time woman finance minister Smt. Nirmala Sitharaman’s maiden Budget speech highlighted women and start-ups. She reiterated that India’s tradition is steeped in ‘Nari tu Narayani’ and stressed on how women can play a crucial role in improving the financial status of rural India.
Today, as we stand on the threshold of 2020, we can proudly list some important women empowerment initiatives that are available to women in India like:
- Mahila E-haat – a direct online marketing platform launched by the Ministry of Women and Child Development to support women entrepreneurs, Self Helf Groups (SHGs) and Non- Governmental Organisations (NGOs) to showcase products made and services rendered by them. This is a part of the ‘Digital India’ initiative.
- Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao – a social campaign aimed at eradication of female foeticide and raising awareness on welfare services intended for young Indian girls.
- Working Women Hostels– to promote the availability of safe and conveniently located accommodation for working women with day-care facility for their children wherever possible, in urban, semi-urban or even rural areas.
- Swadhar Greh (for rehabilitation of women in difficult circumstances, and provides shelter, food, clothing and care to the marginalized women/girls who are in need.
- STEP – Support to Training and Employment Programme for Women – aims to provide skills that give employability to women and to provide competencies and skill that enable women to become self-employed/ entrepreneurs.
- Nari Shakti Puruskars– national level awards that recognize the efforts made by women and institutions in rendering distinguished services for the cause of women, especially vulnerable and marginalized women.
Looking forward to 2020 sustaining the momentum on women entrepreneurship.