5 Essential Tips For Buying Investment Antique Pieces
We all love fine antiques and many private investors combine their love of beautiful creations with their investment portfolio, looking to acquire specific items of jewellery with a view to making a considerable return over a period of years.
While it might be hard to predict the future, genuine antiques never go down in price; it’s simply a question of how much, and with that in mind, here are a few tips for acquiring antiques as an investment.
- Antique & Vintage Watches – If you have a high level of knowledge and a keen eye, you could make a killing buying and selling antique and vintage timepieces, so it is essential that you forge an alliance with a leading antique dealer. If, for example, you are looking for a specific Patek Phillipe model, the dealer would have global connections and you could amass a collection of valuable timepieces, which is a great way to generate wealth.
- Replicas – Don’t think for a second that there aren’t people who create amazing replicas of antique jewellery; they are out there and if you are offered a seemingly valuable antique diamond engagement ring at a very low price, this would likely be a carefully crafted replica and without an experienced eye, it would pass for the real thing. If you want to be 100% certain that the pieces are genuine, buy from an established antique dealer, who has a secure website where you can find what you’re looking for.
- Make Best Use Of Online Resources – The web is a wonderful invention and you can learn about the various eras, well-known makers, and how the markets work. We don’t recommend putting all your wealth into antiques; a portion can be invested in careful acquisitions and why not wear your assets occasionally? Knowledge is everything in the world of antiques and Google can be your best friend when looking for specific information, whether you want to know about Louis XVI or the Georgian era.
- Professional Appraisal – When you are looking to acquire authentic antique pocket watches for sale Australia or a private seller in your area is offering, it is essential to have a professional assessment; replicas can easily fool a person with limited knowledge. Indeed, the seller may not even be aware that the piece is not authentic, such are the skills of the artists that create them.
- Bookmark Antique Dealer Websites – If you do this, you can visit every week or so to check for new arrivals. The best place to acquire genuine antiques is from a reputable antique dealer. The established dealers are part of a global network, which means they can locate specific pieces that you wish to acquire.
When looking to acquire antiques as a form of investment, you do need to have adequate knowledge of the antique market and like most things, the more time you spend learning, the more knowledge you will have. It is important to create a relationship with someone who is in the trade, and you can use them to value specific pieces.